National Democratic County Officials
Statement of Support for Bipartisan Infrastructure
County officials in the U.S. are responsible for oversight of 45% of our country’s roads and 40% of our country’s bridges. County officials are also responsible for airports, train stations, and other transportation hubs, in cities large and small. The pandemic has taught us that the world – and its transportation systems – are interdependent and a fundamental part of our economy, now and in the future. Long delayed, infrastructure investments are essential to moving our economy forward and maintaining quality of life. Counties play an essential role in ensuring that our citizens have the structures needed to survive and flourish, and support from federal partners is critical.
The Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act addresses priorities critical to our communities:
- It invests $110 billion for roads, bridges, and major transportation projects.
- It modernizes transit and improves accessibility.
- It creates the largest investment in passenger rail since the creation of Amtrak in 1971.
- It has a real vision for the future, creating an electric vehicle charging network.
- It prioritizes ports and airports, hubs that are essential to our global economy.
- It upgrades water and sewer lines to ensure clean and safe drinking water for all of our communities.
- Ensures clean and safe drinking water with $55 billion in line upgrades.
- It begins to address the digital divide by expanding high-speed Internet.
The American people gave a mandate to elected leaders to work together for their constituents. NDCO stands ready to work with all and sees the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act as the best investment that has been presented for our communities. It will move America forward in increasingly interconnected world, create thousands of jobs and ensure access to critically important needs.